We are in the middle of July and every day when I scour new properties on our MLS system I see many listing offences. What does that mean? It means that homes are not following some basic rules to selling in summer months. Do you want to sell your home faster and for more money? Check out my tips for selling in balmy temperatures:
- Maintain Your Lawn: Seems simple, right? And yet people don’t do it. Your lawn needs to look impeccable. This means no weeds, cutting it frequently, watering it to maintain it’s colour and having clean edges. Don’t have the time? Hire a lawn care company.
- Driveway Maintenance: There may be no snow to shovel but your driveway still needs a little care. If you have weeds poking through, remove them. Keep your driveway clean especially prior to getting your exterior photos done. If your driveway is asphalt, re-seal it. If you have paving stones that have shifted, remove and relay them properly.
- Garden Maintenance: Are you seeing a theme yet? Your gardens need to look on point as well. If you have no landscaping at all, I recommend installing one prior to listing. Simple, low maintenance landscaping can really finish off a home and had a “wow” factor for first impressions.
- Give Your Home a Spring Clean: This goes for the inside and outside. Clean your siding, clean your windows (inside and out), clean your garage doors, etc. Paint and/or touch up as required if you see chipping and fading on doors and shutters.
- Create an Outdoor Living Space: Something that is really popular right now are inviting outdoor living spaces. Done well, it can make the space feel like an extension of your home. This can be easily achieved with patio furniture, flower pots, an outdoor rug and accessories. Bonus points if you have a pergola, sun sail or gazebo!
- Keep Your Home Cool: There is nothing worse than trying to show a property in 40 degree humidity and getting no relief when you walk into the home. It makes the buyer (and realtor!) irritable and that is not a feeling you want anyone to experience when touring your property. Keep your home at a cool and comfortable temperature.
- Pool Care: If you have a pool hopefully you were able to wait until it was warm enough to list your home with it opened. Make sure your pool is vacuumed and crystal clear prior to any showings. Keep the pool area and backyard clutter free by storing away toys when not in use.
- Pick Up After Fido: This is REALLY important. Make sure you are diligent in picking up after your dog. I don’t think any other explanation is needed.
- Update Exterior Photos: If you have been listed since a change in seasons ask your REALTOR® to update your exterior photos. There is nothing that says “I’m stale!” more than a July listing with snow in the primary photo.
Lastly and most importantly, price your home ahead of the market. This is not necessarily just a summer tip, it is a tip for all sellers all the time. Go over the most recent market statistics with your REALTOR® and choose a list price that reflects where the market is heading NOT where it was at the height of a spring market.
I hope you found these tips helpful. If you have any questions or are thinking of making a move, I would love to hear from you. Call or text me at 519-859-7792.